Are you afraid?

As a Financial Consultant, I am always faced with rejections.
Not rejections to buy, but rejections to meet.

Rejections are common not just to us as an FC, but to all salesperson.
B2B or B2C alike.

But why? Why would people shun away from salesperson?

Possible reason:

  • I am busy with work
  • The current system I am using is sufficient and effective
  • Additional work - approving vendors, proposing to management, etc
  • Time could be used for other tasks (work related or not)
As an employee, handling a salesperson may seems like a hassle. 
After all, most people have this inertia to change or have the tendency to stay in their comfort zone.
No meet ups means no proposal and explanation to management.
No agreement means no implementation.
No implementation means no learning and adapting.
No adapting means status quo and go motion daily. 
After all, work is already stressful enough, why invite trouble?
Do you agree?

In my industry, from my viewpoint, such mentality should not be encouraged.
Why you may ask?
Because we are discussing about YOU. YOUR life, YOUR family, YOUR priorities and concerns
Everything is about YOU. 

So what is stopping people?
  • I have insurance coverage / I'm fully covered
  • I have an agent servicing me
  • I don't see the need now
  • Not comfortable sharing 
Let's go through them.

I have insurance coverage  / I'm fully covered.
That's really great. I see the importance of insurance and I hope that you too. 
Just to make sure that you are very sure that you have sufficient cover for yourself, it doesn't hurt to get another opinion right?
When you are fully covered then there is nothing to fear - the uncertainties or the FC. 
But as we move into different stages of life, our priorities changes and so does your insurance needs. So do get a regular review. 
I believe you wouldn't want to be 1 of the many who are under insured or ill-prepared as reported.

I have an agent servicing me.
Another happy news.
Make sure you get to do a review with him/her on a regular basis. 
If you find that he/she doesn't quite plan your finances the way you prefer, be open and seek out other financial planners. You have nothing to lose. It is your future at stake, that time spent is justified don't you think?

I don't see the need now.
This is slightly dangerous. 
First of all, no one plans or hope to be in a dreadful situation, that's why there's insurance. 
Secondly, if you are not adequately informed, how are you able to plan?
When it comes to goal planning, we always come across this S.M.A.R.T.
Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Realistic & Time 
Without having knowledge on relevant instruments, how are you able to better manage your finances to meet future challenges?

Not comfortable sharing.
Another dangerous mentality.
What are you uncomfortable with?
Sharing of information like current policies or cash flow?
Unable to put a stop to pushy salesperson?
What could it be?

I have to admit that as a salesperson, making a sales is important. It is our bread and butter.
Of course there will be black sheeps that have crossed the line by being too pushy and rude. They are present in any and every industry. 

From my prespective, I think that the questions I asked, or the scenarios I painted aren't the rosiest. 
I present to you some of the worst case scenarios or challenges possible and have you faced them. 
For my bread and butter? Yes, I won't deny but, while I gain only a short term benefit, my clients are the one who benefitted the most.

I believe being open and truthful benefit both parties. 
Planning are done based on informatio shared and gathered. 
Being truthful means time spent is effective. 
It may also reveal certain spending patterns that you can minimise or avoid. 

To end it off, I would like to say. 
Primarily, as a FC, it is my responsibility to educate and ensure the people I speak to are aware of the challenges. 
Being my client will be my secondary purpose. Well, I have to feed myself and my family right. 
Hahahaha.

Have no fear. It is YOUR life. YOU have to take control.


Comments